Mormon History, Sep 7, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] 7th The camps were all busy this morning in preparing to leave. I saw my oxen that father And Armstrong has. My Durham ox was failing fast. The rest looked as though they would stand it through well. I left the Knealy Horse with Br Smoot & the Benbow Horse with Thomas Benbow. Br Porter wished me to keep his horse & bring him on in the spring. Br Dewey wished me to bring him a Cow for what I owed him if I could. Br Porter wished me to help on his sons War[nor?] if I could. Father wanted me to see Dr Cannon in winter Quarters.
After the many request made I bid fare well to Br & Sister Smoot Father Woodruff & all the Camps. Many wished to be remembered to Mrs Woodruff. The Camps moved on to the west & we moved east.
The springs that we camp on were near the pass. As we Started it commenced snowing & was cold. We passed over the Cornelian table or valley at the Pass & travled 12 mile & camped on the sweet water in company with John Taylors company and also Br Hunter Company.
The ground was coverd with snow which continued to fall untill evening. I took supper with Br Shirtliff. This Hundred prepared A feast for the whole Pioneer Camp & furnished A table Here in the wilderness In the most splendid manner for one hundred persons. More than that Number eat at the table & were filled with roast, & Broiled Beef, pies, Cakes, Bisket Butter, Peach sauce, Coffee, tea, Shugar, & a great variety of good things.
In the evening the camp had a dance but the quorum of the Twelve met in Council at Br Shirtleff tent & transacted such business as Came before them. It was a Cold frosty night. The case of Br Benbow was brought up & He was discharged from any further obligation to Agnes Benbow. Distance of the day ( I wrote A letter to Br [-]). 14 miles. I recieved 10 letters while on this Journey.

[Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]
[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment