Mormon History, Jan 9, 1847

[Hosea Stout Diary] Saturday Jany 9th 1847. Still cold all day. The weather was one degree colder than it had been this year.it being 9 degrees below zero. Herring was here all day drunk & still breathing out his corrupt mind & dissatisfied feelings against the policy of the Twelve. I was at home all day untill I went out to regulate the guard. While out I chanced to meet President Young and I gave him a hint of what was in the heart of the Herrings and agreed to see him further about this eveningaccordingly I & my brother went about dark to his house & saw him. Br Heber & J. D. Grant was there[.] We related his sayings to them & gave our feelings about him and apprized them fully of what might be expected of him. After this Brigham & Heber went with us, (or we with them) to see Br Woodruff & let him also know what was in the heart of Herring who intended to take his life. When we came to Br Woodruffs, we found the house full so the President invited him to take a walk which he immediately consented to and we all set out & went to Br E. T. Bensons (& gave them a long [crossed out]) & there had an agreeable visit but there not being a convenient opportunity nothing was said abut the subject of Herring. We went away & Brigham gave him a hint of what was intended against him. Presidents Young & Kimball then went home and I related the particulars to Br Woodruff after which we came home.but had not been here long before Br Isaac C Haight one of the police then on duty, came to my house with Herring who he found had got into a scrape with Br Blazzard & was trying to dirk him & he brought him away, to me after swearing that he would revenge himself on those he was mad athe at length wanted to go to Brighams to get a Bowie knife to kill Br Blazzard.
He wanted me to go with him as he said I was his friend. I of course went and took Br Haight with me for we did not like to let him go alone while he was breathing out his threats against the brethren
On our way we met with Br James W. Cummings who was on guard & I requested him also to go along which he did.
He stoped at Br James Hendrixs on the way, while we waited in the street[.] From there we went on and he broke off abruptly and went into Br E. T. Bensons. They were going to bed but he detained them perhaps an hour
He then breathed out his feelings about Br Woodruff & the Twelve as I had related and thus became a witness against himself for he also declared that he would not go with us
From here we went to Brighams it being now about Eleven oclock at night[.] Brigham had not yet laid down. Herring gave him to understand that he could not lead us to the wildernessneither did he know how to deal with Indians &c
Brigham readily percieved his spirit and I was glad that it had happened for it confirmed all that I had said. After staying there about an hour, we came away & he staid at my house till day. The police however watched him till he laid down

[Diaries of Hosea Stout]

No comments:

Post a Comment