Mormon History, Jan 11, 1848

20-past 11â€"Council House 14th January 1848 Present of the Seventies J. Y. Z. P. A. P. R., B. L. C. Saml. Muliner, Philip B. Lewis Horace Eldridge, Welcome Chapman, Daniel Cahoon, & Jesse C Brailey, of the Twelve-Brigham Young, Heber C Kimball Talking, of the law made by the High Council, authorizing Bishop and Police to take away the liquor from individuals & let them have their pay. so that none but the Bishops sell liquor. B.Y. & H C K retired. Joseph Young opened the meeting by prayer J. Y. Bro Braley I want you to make a statement of things as they are for we have taken this method to have the Brethren, tell instead of challenging them, & tyring to proveâ€" Married a woman in Nauvoo, Rachael Taylor, (after having buried my first wife wife who was sealed to somebody else as I thought, & after I was adopted, she said she would leave me, but got me another girl to live, Polly Brally, with me, this, P B, other girl took her to the temple, & wanted Brigham to seal us. but he said hurried & would attend to it in the wilderness when we came to the Bluffs she said she meant to be married to a young woman, and the Sprit rested on me & said I should go & get my cattle, & hitch to my waggon & drove to the river & see a wife to be mine in time and all eternity. drove up side of waggon, saw a woman, Sarah Frazier, took my attention more than any other woman in my life, told Brigham I wantd that woman to live with me. he said take care of her. do what you will but take good care of her, she lived with me. & the other woman all the time saying she would leave me, told her not to leave me for she would be exposed, she said never would live with me at all, left me, then brought her back, got over here talked with Brigham, he told me to let her go where she has a mind to, he told me the other woman, might be sealed to me when opportunity presented, read the Peacemaker, & drew the idea that covenants sacred, told Brigham, that the ppl did not like us to live single & be together. Brigham then told me to get married & I was by an Elder who pronounced some kind of a Gentile ceremony Had an Intercourse with this woman, Sarah Frazier, before married Polly Brailey, said she would not live with me, and swore to it & this because I welcomed a destitute girl to my waggon Did Brigham not tell you to go to Mo & take care of Polly as she was big with a child & had no clothes for herself & baby. J C B I never understood Brigham so. Supposed I was doing right when intercourse with the woman before married B. L. C. I feel pretty strict about these matters I do not see where Braley has erred so far, only has one woman. Polly was only covenanted to him, so in this one, & if sin with this one, sin with the other hid, if you go to the strictness of the Law. You have a winters work before you. if a man is allowed to have a wife by a Gentile ceremony. why Braley not have that privilege, may be some things in it as I don’t seeâ€"has only but one at a time. Z. P. Looked at these things relative to the cir in which our Bre are in. we must get from the Gentile laws to the law of God, can’t in one moment for we have been brought in Gentile laws. Joseph & Hyrum did from time to time advise Bre for the time being, that they gave certain lenity in certain times which Bre have taken the advantage of Many a soul that meant to do right overreached the Mark. feel regard for all the 70.s Think Bre & Sis have gone into things that if the celestial law was in force cut them off see Bre go rong, but when talk with them & see that their general Spirit is to do right & go straight and be submissive then throw the mantle of charity Bre who mean to do right comit adulter if scanned down to the law of God Philip B Lewisâ€"I differ with Bo Class & think Bro Braley done wrong J. Y. Bro Pulsipher remarks are given all the remarks good don’t see how a man could understand the nature of covenants that we enter into in the temple. When we said That have no connexion with the daughters of Eve except by those that God will give us be those who have the Keys, expect this covenant not understood, not sufficiently explained to the Bre, Bro Brailey had connexion with 2 women before he went into the templeâ€"well if he did not know the covenant then he ought to have anticipated the Sp law of God. I always told the Bre to keep within boundsâ€"Bro Braily will admit that he has lost a measure of the Spirit, he admits it that shews here he has been handling tools that has cut him & he has the scar. If I was a transgressor I should ask mercy, & if it cut me of[f] from the church, well if the law take force take head of[f]â€"but I would be sared [?] & would not ask you to do anything but what the Spirit says concerning me. I say execute the law until the justice has been satisfied then draw on mercy. we only the servants of God. & we say as it is written in the vol of the Book We come to do thy will o Lord, & fulfill the lawâ€"Got to save the Bre on righteous principles Bro Braley is accomodating wants to do good, he has done good to me, & my family & I am willing to do good to him in the only way I can. & save himself & me retain the Spirit there is bribery in the world, but here there can be none. i We don’t ffl to execute the law we can’t have the spiritâ€"Brother Braley’s aint so belious a case as is in this camp Bro B is impetuous in his temper towards a womanâ€"knows something of a mans temperament & [illegible] don’t feel so tenacious about this case, he has not 2 woman at a time. There are three however, living who have been with him. he has lost the Spirit & the communion of the Spirit so he must come under it, & be baptized. if he has caused the ways of virtue & truth to be spoken evil of publicly, then it must be as publicly plaster & heald. if he could be saved witht Baptism, it would be all well, but the Spirit whispers in me it cannot be soâ€"I don’t make any decision, but that is wh it appears to me. B Y came in B.Y. I conciled Bro Braily, when his wife in Mo & family very poor & gave Braley such a severe lecture thought he would never speak to me, told him to go & get that wife from Mo. & never have anything to do with his present woman, don’t believe Bro. Braly capable of taking care of a woman, & he need not bring the present wife to me to get sealed for I wont do it, & unless he takes care of the wife bearing child & make her happy he cannot have another G. A. S. came in, B Y. If the Presidency of the Seventies put up with such treatment in their Eldersâ€"they lose the Spirit. Go & try my woman & see if you can make a covenant with her, no man can make a covenant with a woman, if her husband uses her as he ought to. J. B. I have done wrong. I know it, I never have lost anything, but could do it done wrong in covenanting with Sarah Frazier B.Y. If a man & woman comes to me & says we want to be one anothers in time & in all eternity, & I could tell them to go and live with one another & I would be responsible for all the sin. Bro Braley deceived me, & I was angry. believe he means to be a good man. he knows how to get roots and herbs but he don’t know how to give them, & I would not have him Doctor a dog for me, This woman that living with him now acts very like leaving him J. C. Braley. I will never have intercourse with a woman who is not given to me if I should want 90 years. H. S. Eldridge, stated why Rachel Taylor, left him, because he had so much intercourse with Polly J. Y. I believe we cant save Bro B without cutting him off Welcome Chapman, moved & Joseph G Hovey That Jos. C Braily be cut off form his standing in the church. carried unanimously. B.Y. & G A S in, B.Y. Brother Lewis, I want you to understand that all business, in the Priesthood done by cutting off, with uplifted hand, you know that sign don’t you for the first act of adultery you may forgive a man, but if a man beds with woman & does 10 times, ten times, he guilty B.Y. Braley not under our control now, well he has one woman the law of the land allows him that Believe you are deserving of the chastisement & receive it kindly be humble affl., if you want to be baptized don’t be in a hurry but af
ter you have received chastisment enough & feel so get baptized, a committee go & see Polly Braley & see if she needs help, then Braly see to her. B.Y. Motion that Philip B Lewis & Welcome Chapman be a committee. [illegible]

[source: Minutes, Quorum of Twelve]

No comments:

Post a Comment