Mormon History, Aug 29, 1847

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff Journal] Sunday 29th We travled in the fore part of the day 15 miles & nooned by a spring 15 miles west of Mathews Cave. We here were met by our messengers who had been on to meet the Camp Br E T. Benson & others. They were truly welcome messengers, for our Anxiety had been vary great to hear from our families & the Camp, & to our joy we herd from them this day.
The camp No near 600 waggons, & divided into 9 companies. I also recieved 3 letters from Mrs Woodruff & one from A O Smoot. Mrs Woodruffs letters brough me intelligence of all matters appertaining to my Cattle, Cows, Business matters & family concerns, & I find that some persons who I have tried to do good & save, are filled with folly & the poison of Asps are under their tongue & are tatling, lying, & destroying themselves & using evry exher-tion to destroy the peace of my family. The letters inform me that Father Woodruff is coming along & is well. Also Mary Jackson is along in his waggon. Br & Sister Armstrong has one of my waggons. Mother Woodruff has gone Back to Iowa to live with Dwight & Eunice Woodruff & it would have been for the peace & Happiness of my family if B.C. & M. J. had been with them for they are foolish & do not chose things which are right & righteous.
We obtained much news of interest from the mail about matters in general. We camped for the night within 1 miles of Bear River. Distance 26 m.

[source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

No comments:

Post a Comment