Mormon History, Jul 1, 1843

-- Jul 1, 1843
Orson Pratt: Left on mission to East with others of twelve apostles 1 July 1843. (1)
-- Jul 2, 1843
[Joseph Smith] Joseph petitions the governor not to issue any more writs, and has the petition signed by 150 citizens. He has an interview with the Pottawatamie chiefs who have come to visit him while he was away. He explains the gospel, kills an ox for them, and gives them some horses. The Maid of Iowa returns with the men who had gone to look for Joseph. He greets them, welcoming them home. (2)
[Joseph Smith Diary] Sunday, 2d July Esquire Southwick and Patrick spoke on the stand stating that Joseph had subjected himself to the law in all particulars and treated his per[se]cutors and kidnappers with respect.
Judge Adams come in from Carthage and stated that Wilson and Reynolds were exciting the people to mobocracy and about to send to Gove[nor] Ford for a possy to retake Joseph. [A] Petition was immediately made out and signed by a great number of citizens. Also a remonstrance against Carthage proceedings signed by 150 and forwarded to Carthage and carried forward by Backenstos. (3)
[Joseph Smith Journal] [About 6 p.m. The Maid of Iowa returned to her landing at the Nauvoo House, the company who had been on the expedition on board of her, formed in a procession and walked up to my office, where they formed a hollow square and sent in a deputation to me, as soon as I had bid them welcome I opened the window of my office and requested that no man would leave the ground until I had spoken to them. My Brother Hyrum and I went into the hollow square and directed them not to allow their ranks to be broken. I then shook hands with each man, blessing them and welcoming them home.
I then took off my hat and related to them how I was brought home to the midst of my friends, and how I regained by liberty. "I feel by the Spirit of the Lord that if I had fallen into your hands that you would either have brought me safe home, or that we should all have died in a heap together." At this time, a well dressed man, a stranger, who had a cloak around him, broke through the South line of the ranks when the orderly sergeant took the strange man by the nape of the neck and kicked him outside the ranks telling him not to come in again; as soon as quiet was resumed I continued my address to the company . . .
About dusk I dismissed the company, blessing them in the name of the Lord.] (4)
-- Jul 2, 1843 (Sunday)
Joseph Smith had a pleasant interview with several Pottawattamie chiefs who had come to visit him, and a very good impression was made upon the Indians. (6)
The steamboat Maid of Iowa returned to Nauvoo, after a very adventurous trip in search of Joseph. The brethren who had participated in that river expedition, numbering about eighty, were blessed by the Prophet. (6)

Footnotes:
1 - Cook, Lyndon W., The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith: A Historical and Biographical Commentary of the Doctrine and Covenants, Seventy's Mission Bookstore, Provo UT, 1985
2 - Conklin, Christopher J., Joseph Smith Chronology
3 - Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843
4 - Scott H. Faulring, An American Prophet's Record: Journal, ca. 1841-43 'The Book of the Law of the Lord'
5 - The Words of Joseph Smith by Joseph Smith by Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook
6 - Jenson, Andrew, Church Chronology



LDS History Timeline
About this site: http://bit.ly/mhist

No comments:

Post a Comment