Mormon History, Apr 28, 1841

-- Apr 28, 1841
Wilford Woodruff describes a storm during the voyage home from England: "When we arose in the morning we still found strong head winds which soon increased to a great Storm & tempest which scenery I have not language to describe. . . .The tempest was now raging with all power the sea piling up into mountains, the Ship mountain the waves & billows & pitching into the valleys & rocking tremendiously & shiping seas occasionly. In the midst of this seenery the cry of help was herd in our Cabin. I rushed to the seene & found the ropes giving way & breaking which held the whole mass of baggage which was piled up between decks, consisting of heavy trunks, chests, Boxes & barrels which if once liberated from their Confinement would with one surge be hurled with all their force into the births of the men, women, & Children which would endanger the lives of all. On seeing the foundation of this mass give way Elder W. Richards & myself Sprang to this place of danger & braced ourselves a
gainst the barrels & held them for a few moments untill it was a little secured. I then went on deck to the captain & informed him of the situation of things below & he sent the Sailors with some ropes & secured the pile which was endangering the lives of many. . . . I stood in the middle of the aft quarter deck holding the captains Speaking trumpet in one hand & holding to a fast bench with the other when we Shipped a tremendious Sea on the windward side of us which passed clear over the quarter deck on which I stood. On seeing that we Could not escape it Elder Richards flung himself close under the Bulwarks & the body of the wave went clear over him without wetting him but little. But as I Could not take the same advantage I flung myself upon the deck & held upon the fast seat whare I remained untill the sea passed over me & left me drenched in the Surge. I now thought it time for me to leave my seat of observation for the day & go below as I was thoroughly wet with salt w
ater. I went to bed but did not sleep but little for the ship rocked at a dredful rate. Boxes, barrels, & tines were tumbling from one end of the Cabin to the other. And in the steerage about 15 Births were flung down 9 at one surge with all the men women & Children flung into a pile in the midst of the berths but no lives lost or bones broken." (1)

-- Apr 29, 1841
[Lucy Mack Smith] Samuel Harrison Smith marries Levira Clark. Some sources also give the marriage date as 3/30 May 1841. Lucy mistakenly gives the marriage date as 29 April 1842. That was the date of their first daughter's birth. (2)

-- Apr 30, 1841
Wilford Woodruff writes during his voyage home from England: "Fears were entertained that the Ship was on fire as smoke arose from the holes but it was found to Come from the Cook shop. I was requested to carry the dishes to the cook So I got my hands full of dishes of various kinds & just as I steped to the door of the Cook house the Ship gave a dredful surge & rocked so that she lay upon her side with her stud sails in the water. This unexpected surge plunged me head foremost about 10 feet the whole bredth of the cook shop against the side of the cook room with the cook [on] top of me. As this was my first introduction to the cook since I had been at sea I begged his pardon for Such an adrupt enterance, & withdrew leaving the cook with three smashed fingers (caused by trying to save me in the fall) to pick up my dishes at leasure which were scattered from one end to the other of his shop. I hope it will be a long time before I shall pay the cook a similar visit." (1)

-- During 1841 April
William Clayton Joins High Priest quorum, Replaces Erastus Snow on High Council (3)

-- During April 1841
Benson, Ezra Taft: Moved to Nauvoo April 1841. (4)

Marks, William: Assisted in laying corner stones of Nauvoo Temple April 1841. (4)

Richards, Willard: Left England for Illinois April 1841. (4)

Smith, William B: Appointed to collect money for temple April 1841. (4)

Wight, Lyman: Appointed to collect funds for construction of temple and Nauvoo House April 1841. (4)

[Willard Richards] Willard, Jennetta, and their son left England in April 1841 and settled in Nauvoo, Illinois, where Willard served as a land agent, a member of the city council, and editor of the Times and Seasons. He also was appointed the general clerk and recorder of various community organizations, including the city council and the Nauvoo Temple. (5)

-- During spring of 1841
Murdock, John: Moved to Nauvoo in spring of 1841. (4)

-- May 1, 1841
Miller, George: Captain in Nauvoo Legion in spring of 1841; elected colonel 1 May 1841. (4)

-- May 4, 1841
Nauvoo, Illinois. Joseph Smith wrote a letter to Oliver Granger, his agent in Kirtland, Ohio. (6)


Footnotes:
1 - On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com
2 - Anderson, Lavina Fielding, Editor, Lucy's Book: A Critical Edition of Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir, 2001, Signature Books
3 - Smith, George D., An Intimate Chronicle; The Journals of William Clayton, p.lxiii, A William Clayton Chronology
4 - Cook, Lyndon W., The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith: A Historical and Biographical Commentary of the Doctrine and Covenants, Seventy's Mission Bookstore, Provo UT, 1985
5 - Utah History Encyclopedia: Willard Richards, http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/r/RICHARDS%2CWILLARD.html
6 - BYU Studies Journal, volume 46, no. 4: A Chronology of the Life of Joseph Smith


LDS History Timeline

About this site: http://bit.ly/mormon-history

No comments:

Post a Comment